HR, on the one hand, as part of management structures, must primarily protect and represent the company’s interests, while simultaneously managing human resources in the function of creating a team and also respecting the individuality of each employee. At Carlsberg, both of these goals are given equal importance and are implemented in parallel
“Both tasks are inextricably linked and it’s like a two-way street. The individual cannot express their capacity and individuality if the company does not recognise them, nor can the company work better without a team and the influence of each employee individually.
The beauty of management, not just in HR but generally, is fine balancing: good results, preserved company interests and satisfaction among every team member,” says Aleksandra Dutina, HR Director at Carlsberg Srbija.
Money is an important motivating factor for every employee, that is indisputable. But it is also indisputable that monetary stimulation cannot motivate an employee in the long run, regardless of the profession. What are the other ways that you motivate and stimulate employees?
– I agree with this statement. There are many other ways, that are no less important, for an employee to be motivated and satisfied. If the organisational climate and culture of the company are good and healthy, and there is an existing team spirit, mutual support, room for development and learning, such a company can retain its existing personnel and interest new employees.
The HR department is a respected and strategic partner at Carlsberg, as well as a pillar of support for all functions, including in planning, providing the best services, setting and achieving strategic goals. Creating a team spirit is the shared role of all leaders at Carlsberg
How much is Carlsberg’s HR department involved in planning the company’s long-term, strategic goals, which is not unimportant from the perspective of improving efficiency, creating a team spirit and forming the kind of ethical and cultural environment that the company wants to achieve?
– At Carlsberg, the HR department is a respected and strategic partner, as well as a pillar of support for all functions, including in planning, providing the best services, setting and achieving strategic goals. Creating a team spirit is the shared role of all leaders at Carlsberg, in order for us – together with our teams – to further advance the good organisational culture.
The business environment, both globally and at the local level, is dynamic to such an extent, and often also unpredictable, that changes have become a constant. With this in mind, how much is HR compelled to adapt and change in order to respond to situations that cannot always be anticipated?
– The beauty of Human Resources is precisely in its role as a carrier of change. It is HR that should encourage change, the abandoning of comfort zones, overcoming obstacles, seeking win-win solutions, encouraging a healthy competitive atmosphere and the like. Dynamism, speed and adaptability are essential to modern operations and HR must bear that as its “middle name”.
The values that form the basis for the management of human resources at Carlsberg are harmonisation, responsibility and action. On the other hand, however, you are clear in your stance in support of leadership and the entrepreneurial spirit. How are all of these principles compatible, given the relationship between a team and a strong individual, a “leader” and an “entrepreneur”?
– As I stated earlier, this is about a two-way relationship. There is no successful leader without a team that works with that leader. Harmonisation relates to the individual, but also to the team harmoniously adjusting itself to agreed priorities. It is the responsibility – personal responsibility and the responsibility of the team – to solve problems and deliver results. Action means recognising opportunities, encouraging and launching changes. Don’t wait. Don’t stand still.
A team is comprised of people, with different experiences, of different ages, and with differing natures. Each member of a team brings their own individuality to the team, advances its dynamics and brings different perspectives. Talented individuals in cooperation with experienced experts are a winning combination of energy and knowhow, and a recipe for achieving small and great victories, and coming up with excellent ideas
Carlsberg pays attention to constantly educating its employees, but what sets the company apart from many others is that it recognises and develops talented personnel within the company and that it adjusts plans in the function of promoting talent. Why would a talented individual who leaps out among the average, or the majority, of staff be so important for the company’s team that the Carlsberg system would single them out and encourage them?
– A team is comprised of people, with different experiences, of different ages, and with differing natures. Each member of a team brings their own individuality to the team, advances its dynamics and brings different perspectives. Talented individuals in cooperation with experienced experts are a winning combination of energy and know-how, and a recipe for achieving small and great victories and coming up with excellent ideas.
Various parameters can be used to measure the success of a company and these parameters are more or less clear and measurable. However, what is the measure of success for a good HR department?
– When employees have confidence in their HR department, when the HR department is invited to get involved in the planning of all the more important projects, to work with them to plan, work and build, when they are free to propose ideas and changes, and when HR is seen as support in realisation of achievements, then HR takes the right place within the organisation.