Easy and very delicious recipe for Nordic Carrot bread also known as Gulerodsbrud. These buns are packed with delicious shredded carrots and sunflower seeds. Healthy and very delicious at the same time.
On this page I will share a great recipe for Nordic Carrot Bread which is stuffed with sunflower seeds and lots of shredded carrots. In Danish this particular type of bread is called Gulerodsbrud. In Denmark traditionally bread is made where all kinds of different nuts, grains or vegetables are used. Normal white toast bread is in Denmark very often substituted with for instance rye bread, grain buns or this carrot bread.
It normally takes a little longer to make Nordic inspired bread but typically it contains a lot more dietary fibers, protein and in this case vitamins from the carrots. Continue reading on and learn how easily you can make a fantastic delicious and filling Nordic carrot bread.
4 dl lukewarm water
25 g fresh yeast (or equivalent dry yeast)
1 tbsp sugar
650 g all-purpose flour
50 g butter
1/2 tbsp salt
300 g carrots (coarsely shredded)
1 egg (beaten)
1 dl sunflower seeds
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
1. In a large bowl, add the lukewarm water and dissolve the fresh yeast and sugar. If you are using dry yeast then add this in the next step.
2. Add the all-purpose flour, salt and butter in small pieces. Knead the dough for 5-10 minutes. The dough should be assembled, soft and only a little sticky.
3. Cover the dough bowl with a clean dish towel and let it rise someplace warm for one hour.
4. Place the dough on a flour cover table. Make a large indent in the middle of dough and add a beaten egg, the sunflower seeds and the shredded carrots at the center.
5. Fold the dough over the stuffing so that it covers it all.
6. Use a dough scraper/cutter to cut through the dough at random places. Again, fold some of the dough and cut again. Try not kneading the dough but instead fold and cut it. We are looking for random and distorted buns.
7. Finally cut the dough into 12 buns and place them on a parchment paper cover oven plate.
8. Let the buns rise someplace warm for another 40 minutes.
9. Bake the buns in a 210 C (410 F) preheated oven for about 18 minutes. The total time in the oven might vary. Tap on the bottom of the buns – if they sound hollow then they are done.
Source and Photo: nordicfoodliving.com