Belgrade locals, diplomatic envoys, and tourists from around the globe gathered at Kalemegdan for a re-enactment of the 1939 Belgrade Grand Prix, a precursor to modern-day Formula 1 racing.
A fleet of 20 vintage cars and motorcycles, hailing from museums and private collections in Italy, Serbia, and Slovenia, traversed the original Kalemegdan circuit. The event was jointly organised by Serbia’s Ministry of Construction, Transport and Infrastructure, the Italian Embassy, and the Automobile and Motorcycle Association of Serbia (AMSS).
The 1939 Belgrade Grand Prix holds the singular distinction of being the only race conducted during World War II. Under the patronage of King Peter II Karađorđević, the event saw participation from some of the era’s motor-racing luminaries.
The race was won by one of the most celebrated drivers of the time, Italian ace Tazio Nuvolari, who claimed his final Grand Prix victory in front of an estimated crowd of 100,000 spectators in Belgrade.
Photo: Facebook/Ambasciata d’Italia a Belgrado