The field of marketing communications is anything but calm and stable, but is this market uncertainty discouraging?
For Marko Pešić, Client Service Director at advertising agency Ovation BBDO, these challenges should be used as incentives for improving the quality of services agencies provide.
Does Serbia have adequate infrastructure that would enable agencies to implement global trends and standards, and thus effectively service the needs of advertisers?
– The mission of every agency in Serbia is to fight for a position in which it would be able to set new trends and create standards applicable to the market in which we operate. In that sense, efficiency depends on how capable we are of responding quickly to clients’ needs, using standards we have primarily set for ourselves. That’s why we, at Ovation BBDO, have developed this formula: learn from the best, but before that – create productive and efficient ecosystems in-house.
Which channels of communication could be utilised to improve the efficiency of budgets intended for advertising?
– There is no concrete answer to this since there are still plenty of opportunities to use mainstream media in the right way. On the other side, our market longs for adequate use of online channels and that’s something that should be considered by both agencies and clients. In our opinion, we need to explore the existing scope of opportunities, accept specific client demands, utilise that experience and then craft unique, tailor-made solutions for every brand separately.
What do you consider as being the “golden rules” of market communication?
– Every agency should have its own operating rules. That would help in establishing a more competitive business environment and, consequently, increasing the quality of the services we provide. The effect of this approach is supplying diversification, which is proof that “golden rules” should be rejected. In the long term, that would provide an opportunity for clients and brands to move ahead of the competition. That’s why we least like to hear “we want this kind of campaign” or “we want the campaign you crafted for that other client”.
At Ovationbbdo we are guided by the formula: learn from the best, but before that – create productive and efficient eco-systems in-house
How do your activities differ from those of your competitors and what makes you stand out on the market?
– This is a question our clients would answer better. What we are proud of is our corporate culture, based on the simple approach that all of our employees are free, creative and responsible, first of all to themselves, then to their colleagues and, at the end of the day, to our clients. Self-esteem is the root of mutual respect and that is something we at Ovation BBDO firmly believe.
What are the current issues of the profession and the future challenges that will have to be faced by local agencies in the fields of marketing communications and public relations?
– Adaptation, innovation and investments. Most of the business circumstances are given, which requires constant improvement and innovation at every level. Ovation BBDO investments are based on something we like to call a smart approach – acquisition of fresh talents with different backgrounds, integrating them into existing settings, permanent specialisation and education. This works both for our employees and the people we mostly cooperate with – our clients.
How do you envisage the business climate for the functioning of agencies in 2016?
– I do not expect it to necessarily be different from last year, even having in mind early elections that will most certainly occupy the mainstream media in the spring. Clients’ activities will be relocated to other channels, but expectations will not be reduced. Our job is to propose adequate solutions and keep campaign efficiency at the expected level.